2018 Guided Tours of the house will be held at 2 pm on the following days, highlighted in green.
Price £5 per person
On weekends and Bank Holidays light refreshments will be available by prior arrangement. For further information or to book refreshments contact 01352 755043 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why not combine your visit with one of our pop-up Tea afternoons?
Tower (or Twr Broncoed) is first mentioned in 1465 by the poet Lewys Glyn Cothi, The fortified tower-house which gives the place its name is the earliest section and is probably c1440-50.
It acted as a semi- fortified solar tower adjoining with, on the NE side, a contemporary or perhaps earlier open hall range. This was entirely rebuilt in the second quarter C17 as a front-facing range with end chimneys and 2 gabled sections to the rear.
This underwent cosmetic alteration in the early C18 and again by the Reverend Hope Wynne-Eyton in the early C19, who added a series of brick service ranges to the NE and NW. At some point in the second half C19 the facade was refenestrated and given a parapet in Tudor-Gothic style. Further Gothicization to the interior appears to be contemporary with this.
A water colour by Moses Griffiths of the 1780s shows the tower as it is now, though with differing detail to the windows. Similarly, an engraving published in Archaeologia Cambrensis in 1846 shows the tower block as it is, though again with different windows and with the main range un-Gothicized.
This implies that the cross-windows and parapet post-date the engraving, and are perhaps attributable to John Wynne-Eyton, the son of the Reverend. Despite some refacing, the alteration of the ground floor rear window, and the addition of cross-windows, the tower block has survived relatively unchanged.
Since this point the house has not seen any significant alterations. Photographs taken from the late 1940s show it virtually unaltered since it was given its Grade 1 listing.
It is now for the family to write the next chapter of this unique house whilst maintaining its historic structure for future generations.